Thread: Daellig 2.0
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2003, 04:31 PM   #30
Daellig
A Hill Giant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
I love this UI, the look and the functionality. However, I am forced to not use it as the problem with the buffs/spells not being clickable sometimes drives me nuts. In a tough situation, I don't want to suddenly find out I have to hit alt-b/alt-s just to have access to my buffs/spells.

I agree that this is a pain. However it is a design limitation with the way the game engine loads the interface. I have no control over the layering of windows (z-order). I wish I did. The only thing I can say is try and get in the habbit of always making sure you have the buffs in front of the other windows when you begin a battle or get to your destination zone.

I noticed you said Alt+S, this seems odd. My spell bad always is clickable, I never have to turn it off and on to get in front of any windows to access it.

Quote:
i can't talk for the others... but what i did : prepare my folder witouht being logged in (putting the melee group, choosing the 1280*1024 files, renaming the *.ini to match my name/server) and then copy the folder to UIfiles and the ini to everquest's root.

This is weird. I have had this work perfectly sometimes, and others I have had to move the compass.

Quote:
my points ae simple :
- the 4 slots of the ohtbutton window are quite "useless" and in 1280*1024 they take too much space
- the chat windows are, therefore, still in 1280*1024 too small
- the only lack of this UI, to me of course, just expressing my own user opinion on your great work () is a comfortable clicky window (and since not everyone has the same clickies, the best way to do it (still my opinion here ) is the way Cairenn did it => a mini full inventory with armor and bags

The weapons on the hotbutton box are there for weapon swapping. This is far more useful in the 1600 version where you have the inventory available to you on the main interface. I kept it there in the 1280 versio due to balance. With the way the GUI is layed out, I can't make the hotbutton box skinnier without doing the same to the Actions Window. Unfortunatly, I cant have even 5 tabs (assuming I lost the timer) if the actions window is only as wide as a 2 button wide hottnutton box. If I lost the Stats page as well, then it might be feasable, but I am then faced with serious space sonstraints for the customizable buttons in the actions window.

As for the chat windows being to small in 1280, I just used a smaller font size in my chat windows on my other computer. (It can't support 1600.)

I could replace the timer tab on the Actions Window with a clicky window without to much effort. If I do, it will be available with the AddOnPack I am going to do woth the remaining windows in it. But that leaves us with the need for at least 5 if not 6 tabs on the action window and therefore a fatter hotbutton box.

Quote:
If they can't be resize, can I at least create new ones which may be resized? This will allow me to put all that battle spam off in one window.

The chat windows can't be resized because the everquest engine doesn't support tiling borders, it only stretches them. Therefore, if I made it sizable, and you resized it, the graphics would become totally skewed and distorted. You can however, create a new window and set its transparancy to 0 and have floating text that you could put anywhere on your screen. If you really want to resize the window you will need to find the line:

<Style_Sizable>false</Style_Sizable>

in the <Screen item="ChatWindow"> section of the EQUI_ChatWindow.xml file and change it to <Style_Sizable>true</Style_Sizable>\

Actually, I don't think that would work either, because the chat windows don't have borders so you would have noting to grab onto to resize with.

Daellig
Daellig is offline   Reply With Quote