View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
mikitta
A Snow Cougar

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

If there was some small program add on you could put in that allowed us to CHECK the interface without having to completely load EQ - even if it were a web based application on SOE's site - something that had a really good error check. I only rarely get anything helpful from my UI Error logs. More often than not it just reverts to Default with no reason given.

Doing this would completely bypass the 10 reloads and crash issue when rebuilding a UI after changes made in a patch.

A WYSYWIG UI editor would aslo be really sweet - drag and drop elements of windows to create the UI and the ability to change themes with one base image file (ie you want a metalic pink theme for borders and buttons - just put in your metalic pink bmp and hit the button - plug n chug). People who wanted to do the really specialized graphics with custom skins would still have to create the image files themselves (like spell bar skins, Give window etc). But for those of us who are just really wanting to make sure our most used elements are immediately to hand in a well organized and intuitive interface, WYSYWIG would help so much!

As for any other UI issues - I would like to see SOE institue better doccumentation concerning the syntax of thier files - how to build certain features (like tabs) and what to keep in mind considering creating stable files. Very little is provided now and what IS provided assumes the reader has an integral background in programming.

Maybe what would be cool is if SOE would authorize a monthly UI author's newsletter that can be posted on thier or even this site - something that might feature a walk through on adding an element to a window (like putting the HOTT in the main target window, for example) or an in depth discussion of how the <location> works within a window and how anchors work (such as in the Evolving Items tab in inventory where the buttons are placed using anchor tags rather than location tags). I would love to see a discussion by the devs on how they build the image files and take the frustration out of trying to get the borders and pointer to show up when I mod windowpieces01.tga. Just have every newsletter have a discussion of one thing or another about making and modding UI's to help us create stable files and take the mystery out of it with communication and understanding.

God Bless,
mik
mikitta is offline   Reply With Quote