Password

Old 05-17-2004, 04:03 AM   #1
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis
Default Guild Wars...

Did anyone have a chance to test out the E3 for everyone demo? It opened my eyes a lot. Can't wait for this one to come out.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:31 AM   #2
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Was going to do it, but got sidetracked... that and one night the power went out here for 5 hours...

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
zonnai
A Ghoul

I did not play it as much as my kids but there impression afterwars was "EQ / Diablo". They even said when I asked them about it "You mean that EQ Diablo game?".

Its very linear, some areas of the screen you just can't walk on, very Diablo ish. The trade windows and character screen even looks like Diablo. The fights are different then Diablo and more EQ ish. There are some single player zones and some multiplayer zones.

Anyways, its really really nice graphics but too lienar in the Diablo fashion.

Z
zonnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:08 PM   #4
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Eeeeee! Doesn't sound like something I would like to play... Thanks for your review Zonnai. I've played both. Both on their own is nice, but mutated together just doesn't sound good to me.
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Remember its only a demo version first of all. Secondly the char build is nothing like either game. It is a very solid game that once it comes out could be a really interesting game:

There are six class archetypes that you can choose to build your character from. Any char can be any class or a combination of two classes. This is done by selecting primary and secondary professions.

Char building is flawless. Stat points are not fixed, you can reallocate stats at any time. Skills are trained similarly to Tomes in EverQuest. You either find or buy a skill gem and take these to a trainer to learn the skill on the gem. Classes can use gems from other classes as well. The gem stays charged for 3 hours and you can then recharge them if you so wish. You can only permanently learn skills of your profession, but can use gems of any class.

Movement is very point and click. Left click forces the char to move in the direction of the pointer, right button controls camera movement. Mousewheel zooms in and out.

Travel is very interesting. You have a compass that doubles as a map, on the map, mobs are displayed as red dots. Ther is a map button that expands the map into the travel system. Hotpoints are marked on the map, and to go somewhere all you need do is select the hotpoint you wish to go to. This takes the tedious task of running to various places out of the game.

Zones are pretty similar to most games. There is a slight delay before you zone in. There are various types of zones. Solo zones are instanced zones where you have specific quests given to you that others may or may not have. There are also group only zones, pvp only zones, guild war zones, capture the flag zones, king of the hill zones etc. Every type of zone is geared towards different play styles.

The crafting system is very unique. There is a crafting npc in a city. You go to the npc and he displays a list of items you can have him create or upgrade your current items. Depending on the items you have looted or found in your jorneys, you will be able to craft anything in the list. It is level based. Different cities cater to different levels, noob, mid level, high level etc... Additionally, all gear is level based. You will see 1+ items, 7+ items, 15+ items etc. Unlike other games there are not stat requirements for equipping gear such as str must be such and such, or dex etc. Everything is based on char level.

You go into combat using 8 skills, pretty much like everquest. The only difference is you cannot change skills in mid combat, once you leave a city you are stuck with those 8 skills until you go back to a city, then you can swap your skills.

Targeting is very interesting as well. There is a target ring that surrounds your target. Once you engage your target, you can also then target yourself or other players to heal or whatnot, but you will also continue to attack your initial mob target while doing these other tasks. This makes juggling targets more simplistic than other games.

Char class/level is always displayed overhead. Once you enter a city or group only area, you will see Class1/Class2/lvl below the character name, for example i made a warrior/necro so i had W/N/15 over my head. Not essential but an interesting way to show class designations.

There is an armor dye system in the game for customization.

The graphics were flawless, and on my machine it ran smoothly with only a few instances of warping or attacking mobs from lag distances.

Self death is an auto resurrection system. As you travel you will find resurrection hotspots. Once you cross one of these, they will be the point at which you are reanimated. Once you die you get a 15% life/str reduction per death. All you need do is fight mobs to regain your 15% and eventually the "ress effect" goes away. In the demo i was able to zone and remove this, however I am not sure if this is merely a bug or an oversight that will be corrected.

Additionally, my girl won't touch everquest or any other game I enjoy because they take so much time to learn and dedication to level. Guild Wars is the first game I've seen that she might enjoy playing with me.

Last edited by Inokis : 05-18-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
sirsnore_alot
A Gray Wolf

Server: Karana
Default Guild Wars

Wow- I might have to look into this. I played diablo/D2/D2:LoD, and have been playing Everquest for quite some time. I liked Diablo2 alot, but frankly, it just got too repetetive, all that happened was "Rush to hell-mode, then Hell-cows till 99", once they nerfed that, and you had already done the quests, there was really no point in playing anymore, so I moved to Everquest, and it is so much bigger and more complex than Diablo ever was. I've been playing for well over a year and I havn't explored nearly all of the content in EQ and its expansions. I find I miss the simplicity of Diablo at times, and there was also much less lag on Diablo than in EQ, but EQ is just much better in almost every other aspect, so a mix of the two would be wonderful, in my opinion. That's how alot of good things are created, by taking pros of this and pros of that and slappin' 'em together. Gotta check this out =)
sirsnore_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #7
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Rpgforum.net hosts these forums for Guild Wars. You can read up on what people are saying and even what devs have to say about game content. It should be going to open beta sometime around fall, they still claim they want it to be released in the last half of '04. Keep an eye out for the beta so you can get a feel for it. However, since its not pay2play, who wouldn't be willing to sink 40 bucks just for a game regardless.

Guild Wars Forum
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote